Boost Support for Android.
Chiranjeev Gupta
2016-07-05 19:05:40 UTC
I have been working on a project to port existing core C/C++ libraries to
Android and am doing so using Android NDK. I am using Android Studio as my
IDE. I was following this
<https://github.com/googlesamples/android-ndk/tree/master/hello-libs>. I
was trying to include the boost support for my application so as to build a
shared library of the source code files which indeed include boost header
files. To give you a idea of what I have done till now, its my humble
request to please review this <https://github.com/cRAN-cg/Hello-libs-boost>
fork.

I had used Boost-for-Android-Prebuilt
<https://github.com/cRAN-cg/Boost-for-Android-Prebuilt/tree/master/boost_1_53_0> which
uses Boost version _1_53_0.

I am stuck at this for more than a week. Any help or suggestion from your
side will be very helpful.
mic _
2016-07-06 14:20:57 UTC
Which boost libraries do you need specifically?
Personally, I found it easier to ditch boost's build tools (b2, etc) and
write my own Android.mk files for each library that I needed. Those
makefiles would generally be quite short, just listing the necessary source
files, and then I'd have a boost "master makefile" one or two directory
levels up that sets some necessary compilation flags and does "include
$(call all-subdir-makefiles)".

Also, I built static libraries out of the boost libraries, which I then
linked into my main shared library by adding them to LOCAL_STATIC_LIBRARIES.

/Michael

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-ndk/59350112-215b-428e-945e-629bd99b0636%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-ndk/59350112-215b-428e-945e-629bd99b0636%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
Chiranjeev Gupta
2016-07-06 18:25:08 UTC
I did build static libraries following this tutorial
<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/boost.html>. Then as
you had suggested did make the build files and included the specific
libraries needed for it to work. But then there was error during the build.
The archive lbraries (.a files) were not compatible . If you have worked
out through this can you please give me some specific steps, and help me
resolve this problem.
Eagerly waiting for your reply and thanks
:)))
Post by Chiranjeev Gupta
I have been working on a project to port existing core C/C++ libraries to
Android and am doing so using Android NDK. I am using Android Studio as my
IDE. I was following this
<https://github.com/googlesamples/android-ndk/tree/master/hello-libs>. I
was trying to include the boost support for my application so as to build a
shared library of the source code files which indeed include boost header
files. To give you a idea of what I have done till now, its my humble
request to please review this
<https://github.com/cRAN-cg/Hello-libs-boost> fork.
I had used Boost-for-Android-Prebuilt
<https://github.com/cRAN-cg/Boost-for-Android-Prebuilt/tree/master/boost_1_53_0> which
uses Boost version _1_53_0.
I am stuck at this for more than a week. Any help or suggestion from your
side will be very helpful.
<javascript:>.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/android-ndk.
mic _
2016-07-07 08:26:50 UTC
You built everything using the NDK, right?

Writing the necessary makefiles is pretty straight-forward. Your main
Android.mk would look something like:

LOCAL_PATH := $(call my-dir)
this_LOCAL_PATH := $(LOCAL_PATH)

BOOST_ROOT := path/to/boost/directory

# Build boost libraries
include $(BOOST_ROOT)/Android.mk

include $(CLEAR_VARS)
LOCAL_PATH := $(this_LOCAL_PATH)
LOCAL_MODULE := mysharedlib
LOCAL_STATIC_LIBRARIES := boost_date_time # and any other libraries that
you've built and want to use

# Other stuff: specify source/include files, set compilation flags, etc.

include $(BUILD_SHARED_LIBRARY)

boost\Android.mk:

# Set flags as you see fit - this is just an example. Note that for armeabi
you will need to make sure that shared pointers and atomic operations
# use software-synchronization. Consult the boost documentation.
BOOST_CPPFLAGS := -fexceptions -pthread
BOOST_CPPFLAGS += -DANDROID -D_REENTRANT -D_GLIBCXX__PTHREADS

include $(call all-subdir-makefiles)

boost\libs\Android.mk:

include $(call all-subdir-makefiles)

boost\libs\date_time\Android.mk:

LOCAL_PATH := $(call my-dir)

include $(CLEAR_VARS)
LOCAL_MODULE := boost_date_time

LOCAL_CPPFLAGS += $(BOOST_CPPFLAGS)
LOCAL_C_INCLUDES += $(BOOST_ROOT)
SRC_FILES_LIST := $(wildcard $(LOCAL_PATH)/src/gregorian/*.cpp)
SRC_FILES_LIST += $(wildcard $(LOCAL_PATH)/src/posix_time/*.cpp)
LOCAL_SRC_FILES := $(SRC_FILES_LIST:$(LOCAL_PATH)/%=%)
include $(BUILD_STATIC_LIBRARY)

And so on for any other non-include-only boost library that you want to use.

/Michael

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-ndk/88fbaa54-830c-4e8e-9904-04dc698ae31f%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-ndk/88fbaa54-830c-4e8e-9904-04dc698ae31f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
Chiranjeev Gupta
Chiranjeev Gupta
Daniel Wright
2016-07-19 05:36:04 UTC
Hi Chiranjeev,

Have you thought about using the CrystaX NDK? It's a third party fork of
Google's version, and it has so many more libraries that come along with it
- including boost_1_59_0. I use CrystaX instead of the regular NDK now,
since Google has ignored numerous issues that have come about with the
regular NDK.

You can download CrystaX here: https://www.crystax.net/en/download

- Daniel
'Dan Albert' via android-ndk
2016-07-19 05:47:38 UTC
Post by Daniel Wright
since Google has ignored numerous issues that have come about with the
regular NDK.
Anything in particular you want to point out? We've been making a lot of
improvements in the past year, and there's still a lot in the pipe.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-ndk/fd6802b2-8499-438b-9af1-74ce4adf08cf%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-ndk/fd6802b2-8499-438b-9af1-74ce4adf08cf%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
Daniel Wright
2016-07-20 06:36:17 UTC
Mainly:

1)
The sudden exclusion of the NDK RenderScript APIs after r10 (which I've
seen on the bug tracker too). I saw some "resolution" that was only the
lines of "it will be included when we do more regressions in future
versions."

2)
While this is an old topic, I wish OpenCL apis were at least considered --
even though it's not available across all devices. This, in my opinion, is
similar to the GLES 2.0/3.0 situation, where you can fall back to 2.0 API
if GLES 3.0 isn't available (but has had wrapper classes since API 18). Not
a big deal though, since vendors such as Qualcomm have released their own
SDKs for such a purpose.

3)
As you've implied, up until recently, I haven't seen much of a direction or
focus on the NDK/native end of documentation, instrumentation, etc.
Consequently, I switched to CrystaX, mainly for more language features
support (e.g. wide char). It's made including commonly used libraries (like
boost) a lot less tedious.

4)
Extremely poor debugging support. While you can debug natively in AS, I
find the AS NDK support extremely limited. I have a very meticulous
compiling system for my framework which means I do not have the typical
layout of an NDK project. It would be extremely helpful if I could simply
"import" my C++/native source code while using LLDB to debug my framework.
However, this is not the case. I must include C++ code in order to actually
get the debugging capability of source code. Extremely frustrating, but not
really the NDK team's responsibility, I'm assuming.

I mainly work on computationally intensive (thus the desire for
RenderScript/OpenCL) applications. As such, I try to avoid Java as much as
possible. Issue #1 stated above has been very inconvenient for me. I've had
to manually include RenderScript APIs by building them from AOSP, since I
can't seem to find the old version of the NDK that has the binaries.
Chiranjeev Gupta
2016-07-21 05:11:00 UTC
Hello Daniel thanks for explaining me the facts and it sure looks
interesting and worth looking at. unfortunately on my Mac I am able to use
it. Can you provide me with some basic steps to initialise my experience
with Crystax.Please help me start. And thanks again :))
Chiranjeev Gupta
2016-07-20 04:42:29 UTC
Hello Dan, thanks for helping me throughout. Right now I am just concerned
as to what is causing these errors. The main cause of these errors is yet
to be identified and needed your help in doing so.

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::basic_string, std::allocator
::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator const&)'
Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::runtime_error::runtime_error(std::string
const&)'

Error:error: undefined reference to
'std::_Rb_tree_decrement(std::_Rb_tree_node_base*)'

Error:error: undefined reference to
'std::string::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::basic_string, std::allocator
::~basic_string()'
Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::string::_Rep::_M_dispose(std::allocator
const&)'

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::runtime_error::runtime_error(std::string
const&)'

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::string::_Rep::_M_destroy(std::allocator
const&)'

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::basic_string, std::allocator
::basic_string(std::string const&)'
Error:error: undefined reference to
'std::_Rb_tree_increment(std::_Rb_tree_node_base*)'

Error:error: undefined reference to
'std::string::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::string::_Rep::_M_destroy(std::allocator
const&)'

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::basic_string, std::allocator
::basic_string(std::string const&)'
Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::string::_Rep::_M_destroy(std::allocator
const&)'

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::_Rb_tree_increment(std::_Rb_tree_node_base
const*)'

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::_Rb_tree_rebalance_for_erase(std::_Rb_tree_node_base*,
std::_Rb_tree_node_base&)'

Error:error: undefined reference to
'std::string::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'

Error:error: undefined reference to
'std::string::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage'

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::basic_string, std::allocator
::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator const&)'
Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::basic_string, std::allocator
::basic_string(std::string const&)'
Error:error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::basic_string, std::allocator
::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator const&)'
Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::string::_Rep::_M_destroy(std::allocator
const&)'

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::_Rb_tree_rebalance_for_erase(std::_Rb_tree_node_base*,
std::_Rb_tree_node_base&)'

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::string::_Rep::_M_dispose(std::allocator
const&)'

Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::basic_string, std::allocator
::basic_string(char const*, std::allocator const&)'
Error:error: undefined reference to 'std::_Rb_tree_insert_and_rebalance(bool,
std::_Rb_tree_node_base*, std::_Rb_tree_node_base*,
std::_Rb_tree_node_base&)'

I myself am trying to figure out that "anything particular " you referrred
to and unfortunately haven't :(. My work is stalled and damn I can't even
find out what the actual issue is. Is it that the standard C++ libraries
are not getting linked cause we are not using g++ / clang++ ?
'Dan Albert' via android-ndk
2016-07-20 17:03:14 UTC
How are you invoking the compiler when you get the undefined reference
errors? Are you using ndk-build, make_standalone_toolchain.py, gradle, etc?
It does look like you're not getting the C++ stdlib. For ndk-build the
solution is setting `APP_STL := gnustl_static` (or s/static/shared) (that's
what it looks like boost used, anyway). Other build systems might have
different solutions, but standalone toolchains should just work in that
regard.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-ndk/c991f131-3ef2-4f61-8c59-f9fcb1b76e0b%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-ndk/c991f131-3ef2-4f61-8c59-f9fcb1b76e0b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
Chiranjeev Gupta
2016-07-21 05:06:50 UTC
I used idk-build previously , but had no success. Now I am using grade.
That assemble task you get under the cradle build module, I am using that
to build my code. I took reference from the hello-libs example of the
google android-ndk master repository. So perhaps I should manually use
idk-build with the configurations you have suggested. I'll try that and
reply you quick. Thanks for your reply :))
Chiranjeev Gupta
2016-07-20 04:47:01 UTC
Thanks Daniel for the suggestion. Actually I tried using it but the very
first ndk-build command gave me permisssion denied. :/ Is there any step by
step guide as to how should I install and make it work. Please guide me :))