Updated NDK in Android Studio to NDK 13 Beta 2, all STL STD header files are now gone
Chuck Moyes
2016-09-14 00:24:43 UTC
Just updated my NDK in Android Studio to the new update, now all of my
STD/STL header files are gone. Any ideas what happened?

I'm using:

stl = "c++_static"

Thanks,
Charles
'Dan Albert' via android-ndk
2016-09-14 00:37:28 UTC
Are they not found at compile time, or are they just not playing nice with
syntax highlighting or something?

What version of Studio are you using? The support for NDK r13 was added to
a recent version of the gradle plugin, so if you don't have that it won't
work yet.
Артем Мостяев
2016-09-14 12:56:07 UTC
I'm getting the same after the latest update.

Android Studio 2.1.3
Sdk Tools 25.2.2

Gradle plugin 2.1.3
Gradle expermental 0.7.3

The following errors appears when compiling:

fatal error: string: No such file or directory
#include <string>
^
compilation terminated.

fatal error: iostream: No such file or directory
#include <iostream>
^
compilation terminated.

exception: No such file or directory
#include <exception>
^
compilation terminated.

If I change c++_static to stlport_static, the problem goes away, but I need
exactly c++_static for random.

P.S. Checked with NDK 12 on colleague's desktop and c++_static works fine.
'Dan Albert' via android-ndk
2016-09-14 17:35:19 UTC
Somehow the beta NDK ended up in the stable channel. AS 2.1 doesn't have
support for NDK r13, so that's what went wrong here (probably for both of
you, but the OP didn't include his AS version so idk).

https://github.com/android-ndk/ndk/issues/199#issuecomment-247086983
Chuck Moyes
Muhammad Arafat
2016-10-10 19:57:16 UTC
I have AS 2.2 and using the stable gradle with the new externalNativeBuild
support for ndkbuild.

I am seeing the same issue, but the project is building fine. When I hover
the cursor over the include statement, the inspector says in the pop over:
"Connot find vector".

Maybe it is an issue with the inspector. I am using APP_STL := c++_static
Chuck Moyes
2016-10-12 19:14:04 UTC
Yes, Muhammad, today it appears to have broken again.

I suspect that another beta update was accidentally released into stable.
That release team really needs to figure out what's going on.

It's okay if it happens once, but twice? Come on...

Chuck
Muhammad Arafat
Chuck Moyes
Chuck Moyes
Muhammad Arafat
2016-10-26 13:09:44 UTC
Chuck,

I recently started fresh on a new project to wrap all my native code in an
android lib, and I ran into the problem. Make sure that APP_STL:=c++_static
is defined in your Application.mk makefile and also that
build.gradle references the path of the Application.mk file.

defaultConfig {

externalNativeBuild {
ndkBuild {
targets "<your_native_module_name>"
arguments "NDK_APPLICATION_MK=<path_to_Application.mk>"
}
}
}

externalNativeBuild {
ndkBuild {
path "<path_to_Android.mk>" // gradle assumes that Application.mk is
located in the same dir. But if you are using submodules, this is not the
case.
}
}

I am currently on AS 2.2.2 and ndk 13.1.3345770

Hope this was helpful.
Charles Moyes
2016-10-26 19:44:48 UTC
Is it required now to use the NDK build or cmake system? Right now, I'm
still using gradle-experimental.

Migrating to a new build system at Google's whim is a LOT of work for us,
we have higher priorities, such as adding new features that actually help
our users.

It's quite the ask to just force everyone to switch build systems all of a
sudden like that (and include this rather drastic change as part the normal
update process in the Android Studio UI).

Chuck
Post by Chuck Moyes
Just updated my NDK in Android Studio to the new update, now all of my
STD/STL header files are gone. Any ideas what happened?
stl = "c++_static"
Thanks,
Charles
gid/android-ndk/aadaf1d2-2c38-466f-9d0b-9803b234d2c1%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-ndk/aadaf1d2-2c38-466f-9d0b-9803b234d2c1%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
*Charles Moyes*
CTO & Founder
Lingoland <http://playlingoland.com>
Chuck Moyes
2016-10-26 20:53:29 UTC
Thanks for your help, Muhammad, you let me know everything I needed.
Everything you see here is just feedback for Google.

To be clear, I actually do *much* prefer the NDK build system over gradle,
but I don't think it was the right decision to abruptly pull the plug on
gradle for everybody like this. We're pretty deeply entrenched with gradle
right now (given that we started developing our 100 kLOC project well over
10 months ago, back when the only option WAS gradle).

Chuck
Kwadwo Busumtwi
2016-10-27 09:21:03 UTC
Thanks so much Muhammad. Do you think you could post a sample project on
github?

At present I am having issues with the new build.

I have followed documentation to the letter but can't seem to get my shared
libraries to work.
Muhammad Arafat
2016-10-28 12:53:19 UTC
Kwadwo,

Here is a link to the example I just
uploaded: https://github.com/marafat/debuggable-ndk-example

The example I uploaded is for linking the ndk module to a submodule in your
Android project, while still be able to debug and use STL headers. It uses
the new ndk support through the stable gradle build tools. For tutorial on
how to link ndk module to the main app module check out:
https://goo.gl/ML4iaz

Hope this is helpful !!
Kwadwo Busumtwi